Website Administrative Office of the Illinois Courts
Chambers of Justice Amy Sholar
Fifth District Appellate Court
Judge Amy Sholar is seeking two Appellate Court Law Clerks for her chambers in Alton, Illinois. The Appellate Court Law Clerk performs legal research, analysis, and writing, and reviews and assists in the drafting of judicial opinions, orders, and other legal documents.
· Conduct legal research and prepare memoranda of law providing legal and procedural advice on a variety of issues before the Court.
· Assist in drafting opinions, orders, and other memoranda.
· Edit and cite check final draft orders, opinions, dissents, or special concurrences
· Advise the Justice on research of court rules and points of law on pending legal cases.
· Research law regarding issues addressed by parties or the court.
· Assist the Justice in preparation for an educational conference or speaking engagements.
· Study current legal publications, recent opinions of the Illinois Supreme and Appellate Courts, and other relevant state and federal cases; stay apprised of recent legislation.
· Assist the Justice in her committee work.
· May supervise the work of law school externs.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
1. Working knowledge of, and ability to apply, federal and state laws and court decisions to pending legal cases.
2. Working knowledge of, and ability to apply, court procedures and rules of evidence.
3. Skill in providing legal research and preparing memorandum of law providing legal and procedural advice.
4. Skill in analyzing legal issues and writing persuasively.
5. Skill in applying legal principles and specialized knowledge to individual cases and problems.
6. Ability to communicate effectively.
7. Ability to apprise the Justice of new statutes and recent legislation changes.
8. Ability to work with the Court, colleagues, and the public in a pleasant, courteous, and helpful manner.
9. Ability to comport oneself in a manner which is cognizant of the Court’s ethical responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Applicants must be a licensed attorney and admitted to the Illinois bar, as well as possess excellent research, case analysis, and writing skills. Experience as a law clerk in a reviewing court is strongly preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This position requires the ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time. This is a professional office working environment requiring telephone usage and the ability to generate and process written documents.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Applicant must possess the ability to travel throughout the state, including overnight stays as required. This position requires a valid driver’s license, proof of automobile insurance to operate a personal vehicle on state business, and a safe driving record. Applicant may be required to submit additional materials and/or complete job specific tests for the position.
Interested individuals should visit the Supreme Court website for application instructions:
This position will remain open until filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit www.illinoiscourts.gov.