Website Administrative Office of the Illinois Courts
ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE OF THE ILLINOIS COURTS
Applicants may be required to submit additional material or complete job specific tests for this position.
Starting salary $100,084; commensurate with experience
An attractive judicial branch benefits package is offered, including pension, medical, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as deferred compensation and generous leave time.
HOURS OF WORK:
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Chief Legal Counsel
This is a full-time position located in either Chicago or Springfield, with opportunities to work remotely part-time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The Senior Attorney serves as in-house legal counsel for the Administrative Office of the Illinois Courts. This position performs professional legal work and provides legal advice related to non-adjudicative judicial branch matters.
· Conducts legal research and provides legal and practical counsel to judges, the Administrative Office, judicial branch agencies, judicial branch stakeholders, and court personnel throughout the state and other parties involved in the court system on non-case related judicial branch matters.
· Manages procurement compliance for the AOIC Legal team including but not limited to reviewing, negotiating and drafting vendor and professional services contracts; ensuring compliance with the Judicial Branch procurement code and statutory requirements for state contracts; drafting amendments to the Judicial Branch Procurement Code; supervising junior attorneys in the contract management process; and assisting with legal review of external and internal audit inquiries.
· Reviews and analyzes subpoenas issued and lawsuits filed against judges and judicial branch officers and employees. Refers cases to the Office of the Attorney General when applicable, monitors cases and participates in settlement conferences.
· Reviews and analyzes proposed legislation, Supreme Court Rules and Supreme Court policies and recommends changes or course of action; draft new/amendments to legislation, Supreme Court Rules, and Supreme Court policies.
· Provides staff support and serves as AOIC Representative to judicial branch committees, taskforces, boards and/or commissions. Assist in rulemaking process of Supreme Court Rules Committee.
· Researches and drafts vote memoranda and narrative agenda items for the Administrative Director’s Administrative Agenda to the Supreme Court.
· Provides project management and legal support for ad hoc special projects, pilot programs, strategic planning and policy initiatives.
· Administers Supreme Court Rule 711-temporary licensing of senior law school students and graduates.
· Attends and participates in trainings, meetings and conferences as required.
· Maintains license to practice law in the State of Illinois in good standing for the duration of employment.
· Assigns and reviews the work of support staff and other junior attorneys as required.
· Provides legal assistance in response to requests from the public and media as required.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Must be a resident of the State of Illinois, have earned a Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school and be licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois or have the ability to become licensed prior to employment. Must have seven (7) years of relevant legal experience – preference for those with experience serving as legal counsel to an organization, business, or unit of government/governmental agency.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This position requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time. Applicant must have the ability to perform the functions of senior attorney with or without reasonable accommodation. This is a professional office working environment requiring telephone usage, ability to process written documents, and ability to operate a computer. Applicant must have the ability to travel throughout the state including overnight stays as required.
Interested individuals should visit the Supreme Court website for application instructions:
This position will remain open until filled. However, those individuals submitting materials by the deadline will be given first consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit www.illinoiscourts.gov.