The Illinois Department of Insurance (DOI) seeks an organized, professional, and results-oriented attorney for the role of Regulatory Prosecutor and Assistant General Counsel. Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, this position primarily represents the Department in challenging and comprehensive regulatory hearings. The role includes working closely with Department regulators, reviewing investigative and examination reports, and conducting in-depth legal research on various regulatory matters. This is a great opportunity for attorneys who would like to use their trial and/or administrative hearings experience to prosecute insurance law violations. We invite all qualified applicants to apply to join our innovative team. DOI offers a competitive compensation plan, excellent benefits, and a pension program.
1. Represents the Department in various types of regulatory hearings involving violations of insurance and pension laws, including prosecuting regulatory actions against insurance companies, pension funds, municipalities, business entities, insurance producers, public adjusters, employee leasing companies, pre-licensing course providers, and navigators:
• schedules hearings and maintains case files,
• prepares cases for litigation, including drafting legal notices and motions, preparing witnesses, and taking depositions,
• communicates with attorneys representing regulated entities and Department regulators concerning settlement negotiations,
• travels to Springfield to prepare for and attend regulatory hearings.
2. Coordinates with and advises Department regulators, consisting of the Deputy Director of Enforcement Investigations, the Producer Regulatory Supervisors, the Deputy Director of Consumer Education and Protection, the Deputy Director of Public Pension and other division heads who have a regulatory matter that may proceed to a hearing before a hearing officer:
• reviews evidence and reports prepared during investigations or examinations which involve legal issues relating to the activities of regulated entities,
• consults on and recommends further investigation and/or appropriate regulatory action to be taken,
• reviews and approves all licensing suspension/revocation/denial orders and consent orders issued by the Producer Regulatory Section.
3. Serves as Assistant General Counsel for management staff of the Department:
• plans, directs, and conducts extensive and complex research into various legal and administrative matters pertaining to persons and entities over which the Department has statutory jurisdiction, affected consumers, and other related legal issues,
• advises management of research findings, conclusions and recommendations and presents to high level administrators,
• drafts formal and informal legal opinions.
4. Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.
1. Requires a law degree and possession of a license to practice law in Illinois.
2. Requires three (3) years of professional law practice experience.
3. Requires one (1) year of experience in either trial practice or administrative hearings.
1. Prefers at least three (3) years of experience prosecuting criminal or regulatory actions.
2. Prefers at least three (3) years of experience working with judicial and quasi-judicial procedures and rules of evidence.
3. Prefers at least three (3) years of experience in motion practice and discovery, including defending depositions.
4. Prefers at least three (3) years of experience with administrative law and regulatory functions.
5. Prefers at least two (2) years drafting intricate and technical legal documents.
6. Prefers at least two (2) years of experience resolving legal disputes through negotiation and settlement.
7. Prefers the ability to sustain harmonious working relations with management, fellow attorneys, employees, and the general public.
8. Prefers a fundamental understanding of the statutes and regulations pertaining to entities regulated by the Department.
9. Prefers proficiency with Microsoft Word, encompassing document formatting and track changes functionality.
10. Prefers proficiency with Adobe Acrobat, especially redacting PDFs.
To apply for this job please visit illinois.jobs2web.com.